APANO stands in solidarity with over 140 organizations and individuals calling for the Oregon State Legislature to hold Representative Diego Hernandez accountable for allegations of abuse and harassment that have been substantiated in a recent investigation. We had long considered Rep. Hernandez an ally in the legislature, collaborating with him on the Driver’s Licenses for All campaign and other APANO priorities; however, it is clear through his conduct that he has caused grave harm, and we call for his removal from the Oregon legislature.
Representative Hernandez has caused pain and suffering throughout this process, as well as forcing survivors to be retraumatized. We are especially concerned that he did not participate in a restorative process and continued to string along many brave women of color who agreed to be in the process of accountability with him. He continues to assert himself as the victim, has not taken meaningful accountability for his actions, and has continued to gaslight survivors and stakeholders.
As we elect and support new BIPOC leaders into office, we are committed to ensuring those governing spaces are safe for our leaders. Holding Rep. Hernandez accountable for his actions is a critical step towards ensuring places like the Capitol are safe spaces for diverse voices and leaders.
We unequivocally stand with survivors and commend the brave women who came forward to speak their truths. We must continue to honor and uplift those truths by removing him from elected office until he has taken accountability for his actions and works to repair the harm he has caused.
Urge your legislators to take action by submitting a letter here: https://bit.ly/2YP4xuc
Thank you to Planned Parenthood Advocates of Oregon for creating this action!
If you or someone you know has experienced harm, the following are resources that can provide help:
- 211info.org (Call 211 from any phone): Offers connection to local and regional resources for food banks, housing assistance, and health care (including mental health) services (24/7)
- Oregon Coalition Against Domestic & Sexual Violence: Online statewide guide with local resources for victims, updated with program impacts due to COVID-19
- Call to Safety Call 503.235.5333 or 1.888.235.5333 (24/7)
- Sexual Assault Resource Center Call: 503.640.5311 (24/7)
- Raphael House of Portland Call: 503.222.6222 for emergency shelter in Portland (24/7)
- Bradley Angle Call: 503.232.1528, provides services that are inclusive and accessible to all survivors of diverse cultures, backgrounds, and experiences
- Oregon Child Abuse Hotline: Call 1.855.503.SAFE (7233) (24/7)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline Call: 1-800-799-7233
*Survivors: your computer and phone use can be monitored. If this is a concern, we recommend finding a safer computer or phone. Learn more about technology and safety here.