Reports to: Policy Coordinator
Teams: Organizing and Policy
Hours: 15-20 hours/week term limited from September 2015-May 2016
FSLA Status: Non-exempt
Location: Portland OR, with some travel required
Approved by: Executive Director
Salary and Compensation: Unpaid, TriMet monthly bus pass. Please Note: opportunity for paid work beginning of summer 2016.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon (APANO) is looking for motivated, creative, and organized individuals to build grassroots power in Asian and Pacific Islander communities in Oregon and advance racial and social justice. The ideal candidates love social justice, and are excited to work in and continue to build a dynamic, queer-friendly, multi-ethnic, API-centered and led, intergenerational organization. They will be results-oriented, responsive and responsible, and self-aware, dynamic and passionate individuals who value and practice direct communication with their colleagues and team.
APANO envisions a just and equitable world where Asians and Pacific Islanders are fully engaged in the social, economic and political issues that affect us. APANO’s key strategies are base-building, leadership development, civic engagement, coalition building, strategic communications, policy advocacy, and campaigns.
The Intern – Civic Engagement works with the Policy Coordinator and Organizing Team to achieve our civic engagement goals for 2015. Work will include recruiting and engaging volunteers in outreach activities, organizing GOTV events with Asian and Pacific Islander community organizations, and learning the role of a field organizer in electoral based campaigns and organizing. The successful candidate will be a proactive, self-starter, curious and detail oriented.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
1) Civic Engagement Program – Working closely with the Organizing Team and Coordinator to support voter engagement outreach and volunteer efforts..
- Assist with voter registration, pledge to vote and GOTV efforts including tabling and canvassing
- Logistical and program support for civic engagement events with community partners
- Research and cultivate opportunities for community outreach
- Data entry
- Volunteer training
The ideal applicant will have the following characteristics and experience:
- Highly organized.
- Knowledge of API communities and issues
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and able to adapt to fast paced environments
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and to work well in a team environment
- Ability to speak another Asian and/or Pacific Islander language
In-state travel is required for this position at the rate of approximately 4 days per month. Must possess valid Oregon driver license and provide proof of insurance if using own vehicle, or if renting, must be insurable. Must be able to drive a motor vehicle safely and use a seat belt when in operation. Mileage and travel expenses are reimbursed per APANO policy.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume and 3 references. Email to email@example.com
APANO is an EEO employer and encourages applications from people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and women.